Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It's Greek to Me: Hoboken, NJ (locations all over NJ)

This might have to be the first post I make where I do not provide rave reviews, although, It's Greek to Me is pretty solid.

Right in the center of Hoboken on 5th or 6th in Washington sits Its Greek to Me.  IGTM has the combination of good and bad: pretty solid food combined with unfriendly staff and ripoff prices.

First I will cover the positive aspects of this place:  In a world of Pizza and wings you feel like sometimes you need a little variety and IGTM provides just that....gyros, baba ganoush, spinach pie, baklava, lamb kabobs, greek fries etc.  The food is pretty darn tasty, however, I constantly get that feeling that I am being ripped off.  $5 dollars for a dessert order of Baklava, $17-18 dollars for a lamb kabob platter, no appetizer under $8 dollars, no salad under $10 dollars...it just has that feel to it.

My feeling is that the folks at IGTM are exploiting the young, decently compensated clientele of Hoboken and they just have that "I don't really care attitude" because there are always people in there ordering food and they do a ton of deliveries.  I remember when I was living back in Hoboken, you would order food for one person and you were hard pressed to spend under $20 bucks, that just sucks.

The staff there barely speaks english and they are a little aloof and pompous.  They also carry the same attitude that their menu carries, "I don't care if you like us or not, one of these dumb yuppies is going to keep us in business...we serve the only gyros in Hoboken"....welp, I do eat there occasionally only because the food is decent and my girlfriend needs her weekly fix of Mediterranean food, but I wouldn't recommend this place...maybe for a "once in a while" special treat type dinner.

You would think I was broke or just cheap when it comes to food, but that's not the case...I just DESPISE the feeling of getting ripped off or feeling like restaurant owners feel like they "have you by the balls".

All that being said, try out It's Greek to Me for the food, but don't make it a regular occurrence because you can find more economical options which are just as good.

Eatin' Alive Rating:


Food: 6.5/10
Service: 5/10
Prices: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment